Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2016

DAY 3 IN ALPRIATE

It was 17:00 with temperatures in the high therties when Rebecca stumbled through the door. It was clear, she was in a bad state. I let her sit down, take off her back pack and gave her cold apple juice. She got lost and ran out of water. Two local men on bicycles gave her water and told her about the albergue. They were born in this house which is now an albergue.

Rebecca is a student who camr for the adventure. "I did not expect so much adventure on my first day!" She is overwelmed. She finds a bed and go to lay down.

Then Mario and Pedro arrive. "Is the New Zealand girl ok?" They explained that they found her exausted along the way and gave her water. They often find pilgrims on this part of the way in distress. They look at the house and explain what it looked like when they lived here. No more chickens in the back yard!

Rebecca hears their voices and comes down to thank them. She hugs them. "Come for a drink with us." They return later with their parents. The parents are also shown the house. They are taking Rebecca to the supermarket and then for dinner at their house.

Pedro gives me his number. "If you need anything, ask for the Pacheco's, everybody knows us. Phone me if you need help. If the albergue is full, there is place in my father's house. If you need a place to sleep, just let us know."

As a volunteer you do not get paid. Food is basic (no Banting!). Your luxury is your own private room. I prefer to sleep in the little lounge area, it is cooler there. Why do I do this.....

I was thinking briefly about the expenses. What could I have bought with what this is costing me? A new car, which is definitely not my mindset, or some other fancy gadget that I do not need. (I just love Yann Martel's explenation of a car: "This tiny habitation on wheels,... is a pathetic admission that human life is no more than this: an attempt to feel at home while racing towards oblivion.")

On the camino Ansie and I often discussed the fact that an experience is of more worth to us than possessions. It is possible to live  simple and experience more. It is strange, the more you serve others, the more you are served. The more you care for others the more you are cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment