Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2016

ALBERGUE DE ALPRIATE - DAY 1

We had a wonderful time of rest in Porto, Sintra and Lisbon after walking the Camino. Yesterday I started my first day as a hospitalero, or volunteer host, at this small new albergue. The albergue is just 20 km outside of Lisbon, which makes it an ideal first stop for pilgrims starting out on their first day of walking.

Yesterday was the handing over procedure from the lady who is in charge of the non-private albergues in Portugal.

5 Pilgrims were welcomed. We have sleeping space for ten with a small kitchen and bathroom. Last night, four of us went for supper at the bar next door. We had good discussions around the table with the Italian lady understanding very little and the guy from Belgium (68) speaking non stop.

At the end of the night they want to know what work I am doing and were supprised to find out I am a Protestant "priest". I was still sitting outside waiting for the night to cool (21:30 - 28°), when two of the pilgrims came and sat with me. They want to talk to the "priest". It was a good conversation where we spoke about the difference between religion and spirituality.

Relgion is form, spirituality is function. I encouraged them to let the journey awaken them to the mystery of the presence of God.

This morning, with all the pilgrims gone, it was time for cleaning and washing. After meditation I went for coffee just to hear about the tragedy in France. Is this what religion does to you?

I am now awaiting the arrival of the new pilgrims for the day. Who will I meet today whom I can serve with a willing heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment