Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

DAY 14 PONTEVEDRA - CALDAS de REIS

Sleeping together in a dormitory with 40 other people in terrible heat is a nightmare. I had one of the worst nights on the route so far. My bed (bunk beds) was bent on one side. I was sweating and the snoring of the person on the opposite bed made sleeping impossible. I could not wait to get up and leave.

The poor guy on top of me was in pain and battled to get to the top bunk. I don't know if he was praying or moaning during the night, but he and his friend were out before us. We saw his feet later on in the day.

Just something about shoes, again! If you plan to walk the Camino you are going to experience all sorts of terrain. Buy a pair of versatile hiking boots (preferable) or hiking shoes. Make sure they are two sizes bigger than your normal shoe. I for instance wear a no 8 shoe. My running shoes and hiking boots are UK 10/US 11. If you do not know what this means, make sure to find someone who can help you with this. The Camino is hell when your feet pack up.

The walk today was mostly through farms and next to rivers. We arrived at 13:00 at an Albergue/pension where we got a double room in the pension for €2 more per person than in the Albergue. What a pleasure for privacy and a good bed.

The towns are beautiful. Tonight we will have a picnic on the bank of the river and hopefully get a good night's sleep.

We have two days left with roughly 45 km to go. Looking back at our previous Camino, I realise that one can only reflect on a pilgrimage when you are back home and had time to evaluate what you have internalised.

"But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; ..." Malachi 4:2

No comments:

Post a Comment